Monday, March 16, 2009

1 Set of Dumbbells, 2 Muscle-Building Exercises

By Jon Benson

One of my favorite workouts to do when I'm traveling is "heavy/light" supersets. Supersets combine two movements (usually for two different body parts) back to back, without rest.

This gets the heart rate up and cuts down on workout time.A good example of the "heavy/light" technique is the workout I did today: Chest and Biceps.

Since I can press much heavier dumbbells than I can curl (and this is true for everyone), I use a lighter weight for my chest movements, getting 12-20 repetitions. I follow that immediately with seated curls. I use the same dumbbells, but now their weight allows me to do only 4-6 repetitions.

This is a great way to mix up your rep schemes without hogging the dumbbells or having to change weights mid-exercise. Give it a shot.


[Ed. Note: If you want to build more muscle in less time while you burn body fat, pick up nutrition and fitness counselor Jon Benson's book, 7 Minute Muscle. It's a complete system for dropping fat and building muscle that's guaranteed to work for you. Try it for 60 days and prove it to yourself.


For more easy-to-follow exercises you can do at home - plus dozens of strategies for getting fit and living longer - sign up for ETR's natural health newsletter.]

No comments: