Saturday, June 7, 2008

Fiber in a Shake?

There's no doubt about it - fiber is one of a few super-foods you should consume daily. In my article about my daily eating routine, I mentioned a super-high-fiber shake that I drink every day. In fact, I've calculated that my shake can provide me with as much as 95 grams of fiber.

Well, I didn't find it ready-made in a store. I make it myself. There are hundreds of recipes for fruit/vegetable shakes and smoothies. Some are savory and spicy, others sweet. The general recipe I use as part of my daily routine is a blend of vegetable juices, as well as a banana, some ginger, a little yogurt, and ice. The total amount of fiber in the shake depends on the amount of fiber in each of my ingredients. I don't stick with the exact same recipe every day, so the amount of fiber can range from 7 or 8 grams all the way up to 90 or more.

Try mixing your favorite fiber-rich ingredients - apples, berries, figs, carrots, spinach, green beans, etc. - to make your own healthy high-fiber drink.

No comments: