Monday, May 26, 2008

Out of the Folder and Into My Brain

Each night before I leave the office, I make up my task list for the following day. To make that list, I review any tasks from the previous day that did not get completed, as well as my weekly task list for tasks not yet assigned. I also take out the following day's documents from the daily folder (the one with 31 pockets), and look at each item to reacquaint myself with the project it refers to.

Sometimes a quick review is all I need to bring myself up to speed. Sometimes I have to schedule some time the next day to study it. (Thirty minutes to an hour is usually more than enough.) Then, when it comes time for the meeting, I am equipped not only with the original notes in hand but with some fresh ideas stimulated by my preparation.

I use this system to keep track of just about everything. Projects I delegate to other people, projects I take on myself, and even correspondence I intend to answer later on. When I come across (or have sent to me) articles of interest, I often put them in the daily folder and bring them out to read one at a time.

It's a very simple system, but it has been a big help to me. And it allows me to see, very plainly, when I can't take on any new projects - because the monthly folder is overstuffed!

I am sure there are plenty of computerized programs that approximate what I do with these two folders, but those I've tried so far have proved to be cumbersome and time consuming. I prefer to do it manually.

No comments: